Do you know how to live your best life? Do you know what it takes?
Keep reading and I will show you 7 ways that you can start now to live your best life.
If you come around here often enough you will start to see a common thread in the things I write about and the things I’m passionate about. One of the things I am passionate about is the fact that I believe that everyone should live life with a sense of urgency, not the anxiety-inducing type of urgency, but one that allows you to appreciate everything that you have, and that allows you to live in the present, live your best life, and enjoy life as it is because you know that all you have is right now, and tomorrow is not guaranteed.
I often say that life is terminal and nobody gets out of alive. We all come in when we were born and there’s a day that we are all going to leave. We have no control over when, and we can only hope that when that time comes, we would have lived a wonderful life. There has to be a way that we can start to live our best life right wherever we are, no matter the circumstances of our lives, whether it’s where we think we should be or not. No matter what, we have to know how to live life on our own terms so that we can live our best life.
What does it mean to live your best life?
For me, it simply means living a balanced life, a life where the 7 key areas of life – Physical health, Emotional Health, Mental Health, Spiritual Health, Relationships/Social Life, Productivity, Finances – are all taken care of, and you experience success and happiness in those areas.
I just started reading Mark Manson’s ‘The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F*ck’ and while some of the things he wrote seemed a little too out there for me at first, it got me thinking. That’s one thing I like to happen when I am reading a book, I want the book to make me pause and think and re-evaluate my life. That’s also what I try to do with my posts on here, I don’t try to impose on my readers, but instead I want to get you thinking, I try to sow a seed in your mind, such that when you’ve stopped reading, you pause to reflect on how to use the information or suggestions that was provided in a way that benefits you and helps you move your life forward.
Anyways, back to the topic at hand talking about ways or things that we can do to start to live our best lives now, I would say the first one is what Mark’s book is about, although I wouldn’t use as strong a word as Mark used, but in simple words, my number 1 is
Pick your battles
1. Don’t Give Attention to Everything or simply put, learn to pick your battles. This means that it’s not every single thing that happens or crosses your mind, that you need to give your attention to, or that you need to invest and spend your emotions on. it’s not every single thing that you need to give the time of day. Decide what you really care about and those are the things that you should give your attention to.
I recently read a quote somewhere I believe it was on Instagram that says
That is so true, a lot of the things we get flipped out about and that we get so emotional about don’t even really matter at the end of the day. Let’s say for example you go to the gas station and the gas attendant was rude to you, what do you do? Does standing up for yourself mean you let that person infringe on your peace of mind, or should your peace of mind matter more than giving it back to the person.
Most things do not matter that much, and so why do we care about every single thing and then we get so emotional and we lose our peace and make life seems so much harder than it is. When we start to be more aware of the things that try to rob us of our positive outlook and guard ourselves accordingly, we can use that sense of positivity as a springboard, and an energy booster to live the life we want.
2. Self-Reflect: Number two is still along the same lines as number one. You need to be self-reflective and figure out what you’re really about, what do you really really want. Not just what you think you should want or what the media has said you should want or what you think your friends and family want for you. But you want to dig deep to find out what you really deep down want. Sometimes this is not an easy task, it’s not as easy as it sounds and it’s a task that needs to keep happening throughout our lives. It takes a lot of deep self-reflection and a lot of shutting down negative voices that may suggest that perhaps something that you want it’s not good enough.
I will back up a little bit and explain my last statement in a different way. Let’s use the culture I grew up in as an example, it’s one where every parent wants their child to become a doctor, lawyer, banker, accountant and all those types of professions, and they see anything else as not being serious or successful. So now let’s say while I’m self-reflecting on what I want, I come up with the fact that I want to be an artist, I need to make sure that I do not let the voices of culture and my upbringing tell me that being an artist doesn’t make sense. I need to push through all that and hear what my deepest instincts are saying to me.
If you don’t know what your best life will look like how do you know if you are living it or not, and how do you plan and work towards what you don’t have a clear picture of.
Know your limitations
3. Know your limitations and embrace them not as a cop-out to not get better, but it’s for you to know what you need to spend time on and some of the things you can let go of. if you know you’re good at something and not so good at another, instead of trying to force yourself to keep doing what you’re not very good at, you can just focus on what you’re good at and delegate to others the other things. The goal here is that you want to stack up as many wins and good experiences as possible and limit the unnecessary experiences that ends up making you feel inadequate. This takes me to my next point
4. Seek out experiences that make you happy and fill your life with as much of those as possible. Take time out to do things that invigorate you, and makes you come alive. The more alive you feel based on your experiences the better you get at continuing that loop and living the life you choose.
Don’t miss your life
5. Be present and Don’t miss your life: This
One way I have found to be more present in my life is to be super organized. I find that when I leave things to chance, I end up worrying from moment to moment about the things that are not being
Constant and never-ending improvement
6. Cultivate a habit of constant and Never-ending Improvement. Life is too short to stay on one spot, you have to keep growing, keep improving, and keep making progress and evolving. We were born to grow and if you’re not growing and getting better you can’t be happy and fulfilled.
Read books, travel, listen to speeches and talks. I like to listen to Ted Talks and I enjoy reading different kind of books. You know you don’t have to agree with every book you read, but venture out and pick up something different, give it a shot and if it doesn’t work for you, you move on. You need to have that attitude and mindset of constantly improving yourself, always getting better at something, continuously becoming a better person in every way, learning from people that have gone ahead of you. When you look at yourself today and see that you are way different and way better than you were a few weeks ago, or
7. Have and maintain a positive attitude. We all know that having a good attitude is the best thing you can do for yourself. For this post, I’ll focus specifically on having an attitude of gratitude.
Gratitude opens you up for more of the same, it keeps you focused on what’s working and good in your life. Whatever we focus on is magnified and becomes bigger in your life. What gratitude does for me is that it makes the good things bigger, and I am focused on those good things and I’m appreciative of them, I attract more of that into my life.
This list does not in any way cover all the different things you can do to live your best life. Each of the points I made can be a book on its own. This is just to sow a seed in your mind and get you thinking, and perhaps open you up to tweaking one or two areas of your life.
Before I sign out, I will leave you with this quote
As always I would like to hear from you. If you’ve enjoyed reading please leave a comment and share.